Ramen is easy to make. It’s a simple process, only requiring hot
water and three minutes. With this
convenience and its inexpensive price, many people eat it just as a meal. But there is so much potential to make it
better. As a college student myself, I
keep a large stock of ramen in my room to eat at a moment’s notice. With my hot water kettle, I can make ramen
within three minutes. Frankly, it’s just too easy to make now. Thus, I eat it frequently due to my constant
hunger and its affordability.
Unfortunately, it’s not a good source of nutrients (unless you count the
64% of dietary needs in sodium) nor does it taste as good after eating it
countless times. There must be something
that can be done to easily change its appeal.
My
name is Matt, and I’m a student at Santa Clara University in California. I enjoy eating, as I’m curious and am willing
to try anything. At the same time, I’m a
bit of a critic when it comes to the food. But ever since I came to college, to no
surprise, I’ve had to lower my standards. My cafeteria provides a variety of meals,
specializing in a different dish most nights.
But it’s not as good as home cooked meals. I was spoiled growing up. My mother is Japanese and can cook authentic
ramen among other delicious dishes, but she has spent enough time within the
U.S. that she has incorporated different cultures into the food she cooks. With this, I grew up eating a mixture of
delicious meals, which would encourage me to go for seconds. Now I continue to eat a significant amount of
food, something that is just fairly common among young guys. A drawback of the cafeteria at Santa Clara is
we are limited to a certain number of dining points. I run out rather quickly. I’ve turned to going to Costco and buying in
bulk. There are a few items that I can
eat in between classes, and Top Ramen has become my number one snack. Sadly, I’ve grown tired of it. Five months into college, I’ve had
enough.
I’m
on a search for a solution: to make ramen a different way. I have an abundant supply. All I need is a new recipe, something to add
to it. It must be tasty, inexpensive,
quick, and easy to make considering, I’m living in a college dorm. Thus, when I say it must be “easy to make,” I
really mean it cannot require too much preparation because I’m severely limited
in what I can cook as I don’t have a fridge nor is the kitchen here equipped
very well. There is a kitchen on every
floor in my building, with each not having much more than basic utensils, pots,
and cookie sheets. Working with that, I
also am a full-time student with a part-time job, and along with playing rugby. One of my jobs is a cashier in the cafeteria
here on campus. It’s only twice a week but
the best part is I get to take some food home with me, which helps my vanishing
meal points. I also work in a lab as a
research assistant to my biology professor, where we are observing the cellular
components of plant growth. The rugby team here at school is technically a club
sport, but has four-practices a week, games on the weekend, and an expectation
that we go to the gym daily, making it seem far more serious. Therefore, I don’t have much time in between
classes nor my extra activities to make a meal that requires preparation. So the recipes I make must be quick. Most of all, I’m cheap. I don’t have much money to splurge on fresh
ingredients or food in general. But at
the same time, my food must taste delicious.
With all these factors, I’m searching the web for recipes as well as
tweaking them to my liking. In this
blog, I will narrate my time spent looking for and cooking recipes involving
ramen. Over the next few weeks, I will
make a couple different dinners, possibly a soup or stir-fry of sorts, a snack,
and a dessert. If I follow my criteria
of making the food quick, cheap, and delicious, then in the future I will be
able to freely make these meals. Be sure
to keep an open mind to the recipes, as we’ll find out for the next few weeks
how much better ramen can get.
This is such a good idea for a project! And it just made me remember this really good salad my dad made one time- it was a Paula Deen recipe that used toasted ramen noodles as a crunchy topping, and the seasoning packet mixed with other ingredients was used as the dressing! It was actually pretty tasty. Be careful not to eat too much ramen, though; I once heard of a college student who only ate ramen and actually got scurvy from the lack of vitamin C. Yikes!
ReplyDeleteHere's a link to that recipe if you want to try it! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/chinese-salad-recipe/index.html
Oh, I think my mom made something similar one time! It was really good. Wow, that's pretty serious, but I don't think I could eat it that often. I've gotten tired of eating it plain, but I think I've found some recipes to mix things up a bit.
ReplyDeleteI really like the premise for your blog, Matt. Seems like a very solid theme that you can relate well with. It's very admirable that with such a busy schedule you would attempt such an inventive topic for your blog project. However, I am very glad you did because you have produced some great dishes using ramen. I can certainly sympathize with your "vanishing meal points" and I too am looking for a less expensive alternative to save my own points. Thanks for the help!
ReplyDeleteMatt,
ReplyDeleteI am really excited to see what else you come up with when cooking with ramen. I know that a lot of college kids eat it constantly and I agree with you that it can get very boring after a long time. You talk about the home cooked meals that you miss. Do you think that you will introduce the recipes you will make to your mom when you go home? I'm sure she would love to cook with you!
Thanks!