I needed
something sweet. However when you think
of ramen, a savory dessert does not come to mind. Which is why my blog took a creative turn
when I found ramen topping… for your ice cream?
Before you just flat out deny this innovation, let me reassure you that
this ramen will be fried. That might not
make it sound better, but according to the recipe from Ramendelicious.com,
the fried noodles have a salty taste that can go well with anything and add a
lot of flavor to the sugary ice cream. Though
this still didn’t appeal to me, I figured that if I didn’t like the fried
ramen, I could just eat the rest of the ice cream by itself. So why not try it?
The ingredients were simple: ice cream and vegetable oil. Being my cheap ass self, I went to the university mini shopping mart and bought the ingredients with my dinning points so I wouldn’t have to use the little cash that I have. One bottle of vegetable oil ($4.09) and two pints of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, one vanilla and the other peanut butter cup ($3.99 each), left me with 12.07 fewer meal points but all the ingredients necessary to make the dessert.
The ingredients were simple: ice cream and vegetable oil. Being my cheap ass self, I went to the university mini shopping mart and bought the ingredients with my dinning points so I wouldn’t have to use the little cash that I have. One bottle of vegetable oil ($4.09) and two pints of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, one vanilla and the other peanut butter cup ($3.99 each), left me with 12.07 fewer meal points but all the ingredients necessary to make the dessert.
Before I start talking about
the cooking process I went through, I’d like to say that the kitchen is a
familiar place for me. I cook dinners back home and make myself breakfast and
lunch here quiet frequently. Despite my
experience in the kitchen, it took me four tries before the fried ramen tasted
tolerable. Four. Might I add, the specific recipe I found on Ramendelicious.com
tasted terrible, but I tweaked it to my liking. The first try (the original recipe) was using
a pan with vegetable oil covering a nice layer of the bottom and then
sprinkling some ramen on top. With nothing else to mix it with, I used my metal
fork to ensure the ramen didn’t burn, and I let the ramen come to a nice tan
and brown color. It tasted like
vegetable oil. Meanwhile, my friends
were making macaroni and cheese next to me in the same kitchen and watched my
failure of a first test. I was trying to
explain to them that the noodles needed to caramelize in order to make them sweet,
but this confused them because there is no sugar in ramen. So my friends
retrieved some sugar packets for me, and I had another go at it. This time (along with a nice layer of
vegetable oil) I poured three sugar packets and sprinkled a fair amount of
ramen along with it. The sugar quickly
started to caramelize with the heat of the stove as I mixed the ramen in my new
solution. After cooking them to a light
brown color, I gave it a try. Sweet vegetable oil… you don’t want to how that
really tastes. I was getting a little
frustrated at this point. Nothing was
working, and the recipe was wrong. It
was taking far longer than the projected five minutes.
Luckily, my friends that I was
cooking with saved the day. They said
butter might be a better tasting oil to use.
I quickly smeared butter all around the surface of the pan and tossed
some crushed ramen on top. The cooking
seemed to go quicker this time around. I got the noodles to my desired color
and gave it a try. It was a tastier
combination, but it was missing something. As I was cleaning, I noticed some spilt sugar
lying all over the counter top. And
then, I knew what I’d be making a fourth and final batch with. I melted a little more butter in the clean
pan and added a packet of sugar along with it.
The previous batch was good, but it was missing a sweet flavor with
it. It was crunchy and rich, but I
needed it to be sweet as well. I poured
my remaining ramen on the butter and lightly caramelized sugar and mixed
vigorously. I wanted this batch to be
the best, and it was. It was the best
combination of crunchiness, sugar, and flavor.
Now I could top my ice cream.
I was quite hopeful about the
ramen topping. The recipe praised it and
said it would be delicious by itself. I
got my ice cream out of the freezer and ate some ice cream as a control (nice
excuse right?). Sprinkling a little
ramen into each pint, I gave them each a shot.
There is one look that probably described my face: disappointed. There
was definitely an added crunch while eating the ice cream, but no flavor
whatsoever could be tasted. The ice
cream itself overpowered the added sugar of the noodles, leaving it to seem
like I was eating just cooked noodles and ice cream.
Surprisingly, I got better
responses out of my taste-testers than myself.
The vast majority of subjects admitted it had a good taste. Now I was starting to get suspicious of this.
Were they just trying to be nice to me? Did they just want to eat ice cream and
appease me? Only three out of fifteen
stated that the noodles added no beneficial taste to the ice cream. One volunteer stated that though the
concoction was good, it would take a lot in order to make Ben & Jerry’s
taste bad. I’d have to agree there, as I
sit here writing this post and finishing the ice cream.
Would you ever put the time in
and try this? Would you consider adding ramen
as a topping to something else? Such as
desserts, meals, or snacks?
Works Cited
"Caramel Ice Cream
Ramen." RAMENLICIOUS. Raamenlicious.com, 27 Feb. 2013.
<http://www.ramenlicious.com/recipes/ice-cream-ramen.html>.
A very fun, interesting story Matt. I enjoyed how you were honest and explained that it took you four times to get it right. I did cringe when you mixed the sugar with the vegetable oil though. C'mon man! I'm bummed that i couldn't taste test this dish personally, but I'm sure the caramelized noodles were an unexpectedly delicious taste. Another creative application of ramen.
ReplyDeleteThe anecdotes about the preparation of the Ramen with Ice Cream really made the piece. It seems like a very inventive and relatively inexpensive way to add some variation to ice cream. Personally, I enjoy making ice cream and would be very interested to try adding ramen to one of my concoctions. Altogether an informative and interesting article, Matt.
ReplyDeleteI had a good laugh reading about your exploits in the kitchen. I glad it worked out (sort of) in the end, although from the sound of it, that was much more because of your efforts and hard work than the recipe. I can understand a recipe needing to be altered a little but it almost sounds like you had to start from scratch.I doubt I would ever put ramen noodles on anything sweet, let alone ice cream. Its not something I have ever really thought about. I could see ramen being used for snacks but definitely not dessert.
ReplyDelete